Forum

Free news

FREE blog

Donate

Search

Subscribe

jews/911

Feedback

dna

Gun poll

RCC

AIDS

Home

Fathers

Surveys

Holocaust

IQ

14th Amdt

19th Amdt

Israelites

NWO

Homicide

Blacks

Whites

Signatory

Talmud

Watchman

Gaelic

Traitors

Health?

 

xmas3.gif (5334 bytes)

The percent of Americans who recognize the problems caused by fatherlessness increased from 69.9% to 79.1% in just four years

View in original format http://www.fathers.com/stats.html

 

1996 GALLUP POLL ON
FATHERING

"Fathers in America"

Recognition of the problem is growing

"The most significant family, or social problem
facing America is the physical absence of the
father from the home."

bulletStrongly agree 28.4%
bulletAgree 50.7%
bullet(Combined agreement: 79.1%)
bulletDisagree 16.1%
bulletStrongly disagree 1.9%
bullet(Combined disagreement: 18.0%)


1992 Gallup Poll response to the above question:

bulletStrongly agree 15.4%
bulletAgree 54.5%
bullet(Combined agreement: 69.9%)
bulletDisagree 26.9%
bulletStrongly disagree 1.5%
bullet(Combined disagreement: 28.4%)


Overwhelming agreement on need for
both parents


"It's important for children to live in a home with
both their mother and father."

Strongly agree 53.7% Agree 37.2% (Combined agreement: 90.9%) Disagree 6.4% Strongly disagree 1.1% (Combined disagreement: 7.5%)

"Fathers make unique contributions to their
children's lives."

Strongly agree 43.2% Agree 47.1% (Combined agreement: 90.3%) Disagree 5.7% Strongly disagree 1.9% (Combined disagreement: 7.6%)

Need for increase in fathering skills

"You have a good handle on how your child's
needs change as he or she grows up."


"Most fathers know what is going on in their
children�s lives."

Strongly agree 4.0% Agree 38.7% Disagree 47.8% Strongly disagree 6.2%

"You express affection to your children."

(Fathers only) Strongly agree 83.1% Agree 12.8% Disagree 1.5% Strongly disagree 0.6%

(percentages may not total 100 percent because of
those who refused to answer or responded "don't
know.")

Fathers impact adult life

Three items in the NCF/Gallup poll measured the
level of tension adults feel toward their fathers.
Although it is difficult to admit any estrangement
from a parent, men and women are recognizing a
tension in relationships with their fathers, according
to the results. Only 26% percent of men were
strongly confident they could talk freely with their
fathers:

"I can talk freely with my father."

RESULTS FOR MEN AND WOMEN: Men Women Strongly agree 26% 31% Agree 50% 38% Strongly disagree 4% 6% Disagree 17% 22% Don�t know 1% 1% Not Applicable 2% 1%

The results offer an interesting contrast between men
and women�women were less likely to feel free to
talk with their father, but more women than men knew
what their fathers felt toward them during their
childhood.

"As a child you knew what your father felt about
you."


Significantly, only one-third of the men surveyed
could say with assurance that they felt at peace with
their fathers:

"I feel at peace with my father."


All of the above findings help to explain why a
majority agreed:

"Most people have unresolved problems with their
fathers."

Strongly agree 6.8% Agree 47.3% (Combined agreement: 54.1%) Disagree 36.5% Strongly disagree 2.8% (Combined disagreement: 39.3%)

The work-family challenge

Two questions measured the degree to which
employers understood the tension between work and
family demands.

"Your employer recognizes the strain you face
between the demands of your family and the
demands of work."

(Results for men) Mostly true 36.4% Somewhat true 18.7% (Combined true: 69.9%) Uncertain 9.8% Somewhat false 12.8% Mostly false 14.9% (Combined false: 28.4%)

"If your employer implemented more
family-friendly policies, you would be more
productive at work."

Dads Moms about Dads Mostly true 40.2% 33.8% Somewhat true 20.9% 17.3% Somewhat false 10.4% 6.2% Mostly false 8.1% 9.9%

Demographics and Methodology
A random national sampling of 793 adults was conducted from
January 11‚18, 1996 by the Gallup Organization of Princeton, New
Jersey, for the National Center for Fathering (NCF). The survey
results came from telephone interviews and have a sampling error of
plus or minus 4 percentage points. (In addition to sampling error,
question wording and practical difficulties in conducting a survey can
introduce error or bias into the findings of opinion polls.)Demographic
weighting was applied to the data in order to bring the demographic
characteristics of the sample into line with the most recently available
Census Bureau estimates to which these results are projected, that is,
the total population of adults (age eighteen and older) living in
telephone households in the continental United States.Of the
respondents, 39% had children under age eighteen, and 45% had
children over eighteen. (The two groups obviously overlap.) Of the
parents surveyed, 58% had children living with them, and 10% had
children under eighteen but not living with them. Among the fathers,
17% had adopted or step-children.

TRENDS IN FATHERING

Father Count

Total fathers with their own children under 18 as of
March 1994 (based on U.S. Census data)

Married dads 25,598,000 71% Single care-taking dads 1,556,000 4% Non-custodial dads 9,114,000 25% TOTAL 36,268,000

A fatherhood awakening

NCF Gallup Poll data shows the recognition of the
problem of father absence is growing. In addition,
these statistics from an advertising agency's annual
"Lifestyle Survey" show that the younger generation
are more committed to fathering than the older
generation.


There are other signs besides the Lifestyle Survey
that men are rediscovering fatherhood. For instance,
estimates peg the number of dads who are present at
their children's births as rising from 27% in 1974 to
over 90% today. The growth of flextime is benefiting
fathers. Almost half of fathers working at two federal
agencies chose the option to come to work earlier so
they could leave earlier to spend more time with
their families.

Daddy Track
A 1987 Fortune magazine poll found 30% of fathers
said they had personally turned down a job
promotion or transfer because it would have reduced
the time they spend with their families. In a 1991
survey, 75% of the men said they would trade rapid
career advancement for the chance to leave more
time open to their families. --- (Dallas Morning
News)

"Second Time Around"
One dramatic indication of the rediscovery of
fatherhood is the number of "second-time-around"
dads - fathers who've raised children and then have
what amounts to almost another generation of kids:

99,000 dads have children age 18-24
living at home and have no other children
except one or more 5 and under in age.
(1,000 of these are custodial single dads;
the remainder are married.) (1993 Census
Bureau data)

Challenges: complex families;
balancing work and family


Fathers who are growing more committed to their
families face ever-increasing demands in the
workplace. More families are relying on dad for
child care while mom works:

Primary care for children under 5 whose mother
works was supplied 20% of the time by dads, and for
households where children were 5 to 14, 6.6% of the
time.

Total dads involved in primary child care while
mom works: 3,385,000.Pre-schoolers in "father
care":

June 1977 14% Fall 1986 15% Fall 1990 17% Fall 1991 20%

Note: while 13,880,000 couples with children under
18 both work for pay, only 5,014,000 both work
full-time day-shift jobs.
(Census Bureau report, Child Care Arrangement, Fall
1991, "Who's Minding the Kids?")

There are other challenges which make the fathering
picture complex. One in twelve men will be a dad
while serving in the military, with the demands that
lifestyle can bring. Other complex fathering situations
are increasing in number:

Single Primary Care-taker Dads 1970 393,000 1980 690,000 1990 1,351,000 1994 1,556,000 (Census Bureau data and projections)Live-in Dads 1970 196,000 1980 431,000 1990 891,000 1994 1,270,000 (Statistical Abstract, p. 56, Census Bureau data on unmarried couples living with children under 15 years old)

Rising expectations for fathers

The National Center for Fathering's Gallup Poll in
1992 found 96.8% of those responding agreed that
fathers should be more involved their children's
education. 54.1% agreed that "fathers today spend
less time with their children than their fathers did
with them." Whatever else those numbers mean, they
certainly indicate rising expectations and point out
the need for improvement.

Bringing home the paycheck is no longer seen as
sufficient to fulfill the fathering role. Dads are
expected to be more involved and nurturing, both
physically and verbally. Some of these expectations
are a result of more moms working outside the home,
and some come from parents who long to give their
children what they missed while growing up. But
some of the rising expectations come from within
men themselves:they know they can contribute more
to their children than what may have seemed
"normal" for fathers when they were young. When
they do invest in their children, they find great
rewards.

Employees link family satisfaction with productivity
at work, and many companies are starting to
recognize this. At DuPont Corp, a 1995 study
concluded "The most striking finding ... is the
positive impact that DuPont's work-life programs
have had on business results." In their study of
18,000 employees, the company found that the top
three reasons employees rejected changes in their
duties or promotions were family related. They had
refused: relocation, 34%; increased travel, 24%; and
overtime or a job with more pressure, 21%.

Various forms of father absence

Fatherlessness is most associated with
out-of-wedlock birth and divorce. Those are the two
driving forces which have led to the physical
absence of dads. 27,341,000 children live apart from
their biological fathers. This amounts to 39% of
children under 18 in the nation. (1994 Census Bureau
data released in 1996)

While joint custody and other arrangements are
increasing fathers' involvement after divorce, the
effects are still devastating on children. The National
Commission on Children's national survey of
children and parents (1991) found close to half of
children in disrupted families hadn't seen their
fathers at all in the past year. Nearly one in five
children in female-headed families hadn't seen their
fathers in five years. Frank Furstenberg (Divided
Families, 1991) said more than one-half of all
children who don't live with their father have never
been in their father's home.

Another cause of physical absence is
incarceration:

Dads in Prison: As of June 1994 there were an
estimated 778,761 dads behind bars with children
under 18, and an additional 105,500 dads whose only
children were over 18.(Bureau of Justice Statistics)

Dads who are physically with their families may
nonetheless be emotionally and socially absent:

In two-parent households, fewer than 25% of young
boys and girls experience an average of at least one
hour a day of relatively individualized contact with
their fathers. The average daily amount of one-to-one
father/child contact reported in this country is less
than 30 minutes.(Henry B. Biller, "The Father Factor
and the Two Parent Advantage: Reducing the
Paternal Deficit," unpublished paper, 1994)

Almost 20% of 6th - 12th graders have not had a
good conversation lasting for at least 10 minutes with
at least one of their parents in more than a
month.(Peter L. Benson, The Troubled Journey: A
Portrait of 6th-12th Grade Youth, Minneapolis, MN:
Search Institute, 1993, p. 84)

More -- and younger -- grandfathers

 

TRAITOR McCain

jewn McCain

ASSASSIN of JFK, Patton, many other Whites

killed 264 MILLION Christians in WWII

killed 64 million Christians in Russia

holocaust denier extraordinaire--denying the Armenian holocaust

millions dead in the Middle East

tens of millions of dead Christians

LOST $1.2 TRILLION in Pentagon
spearheaded torture & sodomy of all non-jews
millions dead in Iraq

42 dead, mass murderer Goldman LOVED by jews

serial killer of 13 Christians

the REAL terrorists--not a single one is an Arab

serial killers are all jews

framed Christians for anti-semitism, got caught
left 350 firemen behind to die in WTC

legally insane debarred lawyer CENSORED free speech

mother of all fnazis, certified mentally ill

10,000 Whites DEAD from one jew LIE

moser HATED by jews: he followed the law

f.ck Jesus--from a "news" person!!

1000 fold the child of perdition

 

Hit Counter

 

Modified Saturday, March 11, 2017

Copyright @ 2007 by Fathers' Manifesto & Christian Party