Exo 20:5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 34:14For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
Deu 4:24For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.
Deu 5:9Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
Deu 6:15(For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.
Jos 24:19And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he is a holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins.
1Ki 19:10And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
1Ki 19:14And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
Eze 39:25Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Now will I bring again the captivity of Jacob, and have mercy upon the whole house of Israel, and will be jealous for my holy name;
Nah 1:2God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies.
2Co 11:2For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
JEALOUS, a. jel'us.
1. Suspicious; apprehensive of rivalship; uneasy through fear that another has withdrawn or may withdraw from one the affections of a person he loves, or enjoy some good which he desires to obtain; followed by of, and applied both to the object of love and to the rival. We say, a young man is jealous of the woman he loves, or jealous of his rival. A man is jealous of his wife,and the wife of her husband.
2. Suspicious that we do not enjoy the affection or respect of others, or that another is more loved and respected than ourselves.
3. Emulous; full of competition.
4. Solicitous to defend the honor of; concerned for the character of.
I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts.
1 Ki 19.
5. Suspiciously vigilant; anxiously careful and concerned for.
I am jealous over you with a godly jealousy. 2 Cor 11.
6. Suspiciously fearful.
'Tis doing wrong creates such doubts as these,
Renders us jealous and destroys our peace.
1. Inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable conceit of one's own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, accomplishments, rank or elevation in office, which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others.
Martial pride looks down on industry.
Pride goeth before destruction. Prov 16.
Pride that dines on vanity, sups on contempt.
All pride is abject and mean.
Those that walk in pride he is able to abase. Dan 4.
2. Insolence; rude treatment of others; insolent exultation.
That hardly we escap'd the pride of France.
3. Generous elation of heart; a noble self-esteem springing from a consciousness of worth.
The honest pride of conscious virtue.
4. Elevation; loftiness.
A falcon tow'ring in her pride of place.
5. Decoration; ornament; beauty displayed.
Whose lofty trees, clad with summer's pride.
Be his this sword
Whose ivory sheath, inwrought with curious pride,
Adds graceful terror to the wearer's side.
6. Splendid show; ostentation.
Is this array, the war of either side
Through Athens pass'd with military pride.
7. That of which men are proud; that which excites boasting.
I will cut off the pride of the Philistines. Zec 9. Zep 3.
8. Excitement of the sexual appetite in a female beast.
9. Proud persons. Psa 36.
PRIDE, v.t. With the reciprocal pronoun, to pride one's self, to indulge pride; to take pride; to value one's self; to gratify self-esteem. They pride themselves in their wealth, dress or equipage. He prides himself in his achievements.
Lev 26:19And I will break7665 (853) the pride1347 of your power;5797 and I will make5414 (853) your heaven8064 as iron,1270 and your earth776 as brass:5154
1Sa 17:28And Eliab446 his eldest1419 brother251 heard8085 when he spoke1696 unto413 the men;376 and Eliab's446 anger639 was kindled2734 against David,1732 and he said,559 Why4100 camest thou down3381 hither? and with5921 whom4310 hast thou left5203 those2007 few4592 sheep6629 in the wilderness?4057 I589 know3045 (853) thy pride,2087 and the naughtiness7455 of thine heart;3824 for3588 thou art come down3381 that4616 thou mightest see7200 the battle.4421
2Ch 32:26 Notwithstanding Hezekiah3169 humbled himself3665 for the pride1363 of his heart,3820 both he1931 and the inhabitants3427 of Jerusalem,3389 so that the wrath7110 of the LORD3068 came935 not3808 upon5921 them in the days3117 of Hezekiah.3169
From H2102; arrogance: - presumptuously, pride, proud (man).
Job 33:17 That he may withdraw5493 man120 from his purpose,4639 and hide3680 pride1466 from man.4480, 1397
Job 41:15 His scales650, 4043 are his pride,1346 shut up together5462 as with a close6862 seal.2368
Job 41:34He beholdeth7200 (853) all3605 high1364 things: he1931 is a king4428 over5921 all3605 the children1121 of pride.7830
Psa 10:2The wicked7563 in his pride1346 doth persecute1814 the poor:6041 let them be taken8610 in the devices4209 that2098 they have imagined.2803
Mar 7:22 Thefts,2829 covetousness,4124 wickedness,4189 deceit,1388 lasciviousness,766 an evil4190 eye,3788 blasphemy,988 pride,5243 foolishness:877
1Ti 3:6 Not3361 a novice,3504 lest3363 being lifted up with pride5187 he fall1706 into1519 the condemnation2917 of the3588 devil.1228
1Jo 2:16For3754 all3956 that3588 is in1722 the3588 world,2889 the3588 lust1939 of the3588 flesh,4561 and2532 the3588 lust1939 of the3588 eyes,3788 and2532 the3588 pride212 of life,979 is2076 not3756 of1537 the3588 Father,3962 but235 is2076 of1537 the3588 world.2889