"...every group that wishes to see conflicting
interests resolved reasonably, or is wise about the conditions under which it enjoys its
own freedom, must be profoundly concerned with the state of freedom of speech and
assembly, freedom of inquiry and teaching, freedom of press and other forms of
communication, freedom of cultural opportunity and development. For in large measure
intelligent moral choice depends upon them."
--Sidney Hook (1902-1988), disciple of John Dewey, and
champion of pragmatism and democracy
|This is the
eighth-grade final exam from 1895 from Salina, KS. It was taken from the original document
on file at the Smoky Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, KS and reprinted
by the Salina Journal.
8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, KS -
(Time, one hour)
- Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
- Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.
- Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
- What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
- Define Case, Illustrate each Case.
- What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.
- - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the
practical use of the rules of grammar.
(Time, 1.25 hours)
- Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
- A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will
- If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. per bu., deducting 1050
lbs. for tare?
- District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a
school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
- Find cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
- Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
- What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per m?
- Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
- What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640
- Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.
(Time, 45 minutes)
- Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
- Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
- Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
- Show the territorial growth of the United States.
- Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
- Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
- Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
- Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865?
(Time, one hour)
- What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic orthography, etymology,
- What are elementary sounds? How classified?
- What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong,
cognate letters, linguals?
- Give four substitutes for caret 'u'.
- Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e'. Name two exceptions under each rule.
- Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
- Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, dis, mis, pre,
semi, post, non, inter, mono, super.
- Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that
indicates the sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
- Use the following correctly in sentences, Cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane,
vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
- Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical
marks and by syllabication.
(Time, one hour)
- What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
- How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
- Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
- Describe the mountains of N.A.
- Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St.
Helena, Juan Fermandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
- Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
- Name all the republics of Europe and give capital of each.
- Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
- Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
- Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth.
( A number of readers have requested the answers to the questions on this test.
Without prejudice, I publish a link
which purports to solve that problem. Hope it helps.)
|The final question, requiring your "final answer":
Is it time for "seed" change in public
--Mike Carrier, MA (New York University, Graduate School
of Arts and Sciences)